Aviation Forums Forum Index Aviation Forums
Aviation discussions newsgroups
 
Archives   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Aircraft Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Russell Duffy
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote



Greetings,

The subject pretty much says it all. I'm looking to hear from those who are
flying a 3300 Jabiru engine. I've heard that there were some problems in
the early days, but I was told that since about 2002, the engines have been
working very well, with no problems. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Again, I'm most interested in first hand info, from people who are actually
flying the engine.

Thanks,
Rusty




Back to top
Bret Ludwig
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote



I don't know, but what does it do a Corvair doesn't, at a far more
rational price? If it were ATC'd and STC'd to replace say an O-200 or
similar it would be worth looking at....

Back to top
Russell Duffy
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

Let's please stick to the original question.
Rusty



"Bret Ludwig" <bretldwig (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote

Quote:
I don't know, but what does it do a Corvair doesn't, at a far more
rational price? If it were ATC'd and STC'd to replace say an O-200 or
similar it would be worth looking at....




Back to top
Morgans
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote


"Russell Duffy" <keep (AT) your (DOT) spam> wrote

Quote:
Let's please stick to the original question.

Getting an attitude is sure to get you more answers. Not.
--
Jim in NC


Back to top
abripl
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

Quote:
Getting an attitude is sure to get you more answers. Not.

Obviously you don't have any relevant info.


Back to top
Leon@caspercityauto.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

Not first hand........But one of the local guys converted his Q-2 from
the VW to the Jabiru 3300 and just loves it. Had a problem with one of
the exhaust valves at around 50 hours - IIRC - fixed under warranty and
reported to be nearing 500 hours.

I think they look a bit fragile, but "cute". His results seem to be
proving my impression wrong.

His reported performance numbers are better than some O-200 powered
versions.
==============
Leon McAtee

Back to top
Kyle Boatright
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote


"Russell Duffy" <keep (AT) your (DOT) spam> wrote

Quote:
Greetings,

The subject pretty much says it all. I'm looking to hear from those who
are flying a 3300 Jabiru engine. I've heard that there were some problems
in the early days, but I was told that since about 2002, the engines have
been working very well, with no problems. Can anyone confirm or deny
this? Again, I'm most interested in first hand info, from people who are
actually flying the engine.

Thanks,
Rusty

I have an acquaintance who has the 3300 on his Sonex. He has approximately
100 trouble-free hours on it. On the other hand, he installed an Aero-Carb
on it, and had lots 'o problems with it before he repaced it with the stock
carb...

You might try googling the Sonex board. I'd guess it probably has the
easiest to corral group of 3300 flyers. You may have to join to browse the
messages.

KB



Back to top
Rob Turk
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

"Russell Duffy" <keep (AT) your (DOT) spam> wrote

Quote:
Greetings,

The subject pretty much says it all. I'm looking to hear from those who
are flying a 3300 Jabiru engine. I've heard that there were some problems
in the early days, but I was told that since about 2002, the engines have
been working very well, with no problems. Can anyone confirm or deny
this? Again, I'm most interested in first hand info, from people who are
actually flying the engine.

Thanks,
Rusty

Not yet flying, it will take another half year or so to complete our Rans
S6S. But we did run the engine and taxied around the block a few times. So
far no problems with 0.5 hours runtime ;-)

Check out the jabiruengines group on Yahoo, I'm sure you can find all
experiences (good and bad) on it. Most common issues have to do with
installation. Getting the cooling right on all cylinders can be a bit
tricky, but once you have that figured out the Jab3300 is a very reliable
and pleasant engine to fly with.

Rob



Back to top
karel
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote


"Rob Turk" <_wipe_me_r.turk (AT) chello (DOT) nl> wrote

Quote:
"Russell Duffy" <keep (AT) your (DOT) spam> wrote in message
news:vzQ8f.25473$ty1.1249 (AT) bignews1 (DOT) bellsouth.net...


Quote:
Not yet flying, it will take another half year or so to complete our Rans
S6S. But we did run the engine and taxied around the block a few times. So
far no problems with 0.5 hours runtime Wink

A 3300 on an S6S? Isn't that a bit of overkill?
I thought Coyotes can make do with a Rotax 582 (60 HP or so?)
and are very happy with a 80 HP Rotax 912
So if Jabiru it must be I would rather expect a 2200?

PS if I may be a bit curious:
Where are you building?
Or more precisely where will the bird fly from?
Are you using the standard wing or the smaller 'speed' wing?

KA from just South...




Back to top
Russell Duffy
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

Hi Leon,

Not first hand, but full credit nevertheless Smile To have 500 hours, it's
likely to be one of the older engines. I never heard what the problems used
to be, but knew were were some. Great to hear it's working well now.

Rusty



<Leon (AT) caspercityauto (DOT) com> wrote

Quote:
Not first hand........But one of the local guys converted his Q-2 from
the VW to the Jabiru 3300 and just loves it. Had a problem with one of
the exhaust valves at around 50 hours - IIRC - fixed under warranty and
reported to be nearing 500 hours.

I think they look a bit fragile, but "cute". His results seem to be
proving my impression wrong.

His reported performance numbers are better than some O-200 powered
versions.
==============
Leon McAtee




Back to top
Russell Duffy
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

Hi Kyle,

I've looked all through the Sonex archives, and just can't find anyone
complaining. By all accounts, the more recent engines are just dandy, but I
wanted to ask here to see if there was something I was missing. I actually
like the AeroCarb, but know they had some sticking problems with them.

Thanks,
Rusty



"Kyle Boatright" <kboatright1 (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote


Quote:
I have an acquaintance who has the 3300 on his Sonex. He has
approximately 100 trouble-free hours on it. On the other hand, he
installed an Aero-Carb on it, and had lots 'o problems with it before he
repaced it with the stock carb...

You might try googling the Sonex board. I'd guess it probably has the
easiest to corral group of 3300 flyers. You may have to join to browse the
messages.

KB





Back to top
Russell Duffy
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. If I use a Jabiru 3300, it will be on a Sonex, and the beauty
of that is that they have the installation package pretty well sorted out.
The engine is really a good match for the Sonex.

Cheers,
Rusty


"Rob Turk" <_wipe_me_r.turk (AT) chello (DOT) nl> wrote

Quote:
Not yet flying, it will take another half year or so to complete our Rans
S6S. But we did run the engine and taxied around the block a few times. So
far no problems with 0.5 hours runtime ;-)

Check out the jabiruengines group on Yahoo, I'm sure you can find all
experiences (good and bad) on it. Most common issues have to do with
installation. Getting the cooling right on all cylinders can be a bit
tricky, but once you have that figured out the Jab3300 is a very reliable
and pleasant engine to fly with.

Rob





Back to top
Kyle Boatright
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote


"Russell Duffy" <keep (AT) your (DOT) spam> wrote

Quote:
Hi Kyle,

I've looked all through the Sonex archives, and just can't find anyone
complaining. By all accounts, the more recent engines are just dandy, but
I wanted to ask here to see if there was something I was missing. I
actually like the AeroCarb, but know they had some sticking problems with
them.

Thanks,
Rusty

Yep, there is a sticking problem. My buddy, who worked in aerospace, and
presumably knows what he's doing, couldn't get it to work reliably.
Reliability is the name of the game in aviation, so the AeroCarb became a
doorstop.

KB



Back to top
Jim Carriere
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

Kyle Boatright wrote:
Quote:
"Russell Duffy" <keep (AT) your (DOT) spam> wrote in message
news:FB49f.14309$wG.12818 (AT) bignews4 (DOT) bellsouth.net...

Hi Kyle,

I've looked all through the Sonex archives, and just can't find anyone
complaining. By all accounts, the more recent engines are just dandy, but
I wanted to ask here to see if there was something I was missing. I
actually like the AeroCarb, but know they had some sticking problems with
them.

Thanks,
Rusty


Yep, there is a sticking problem. My buddy, who worked in aerospace, and
presumably knows what he's doing, couldn't get it to work reliably.
Reliability is the name of the game in aviation, so the AeroCarb became a
doorstop.

That's a shame. The Bing carb they come with doesn't have mixture
control. That is possibly its only disadvantage.

I have a Rotec radial with a Bing 64 (40mm throttle). I believe is
the exactly the same carburettor as the Jabiru 3300, and I have been
giving serious thought to changing the Bing for an AeroCarb. For
four hundred bucks I want to be sure. Then again I should give
serious thought to working on the airplane more and being online less :)

I know there is a kludge fix (involving the float chamber vent) to
control the mixture on Bings, it supposedly works fairly well...

Back to top
Rob Turk
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking first hand Jabiru 3300 opinions Reply with quote

"karel" <adelcoGENE (AT) zeverSKYNET (DOT) BE> wrote

Quote:

"Rob Turk" <_wipe_me_r.turk (AT) chello (DOT) nl> wrote in message
news:B5%8f.144$zc1.54 (AT) amstwist00 (DOT) ..
"Russell Duffy" <keep (AT) your (DOT) spam> wrote in message
news:vzQ8f.25473$ty1.1249 (AT) bignews1 (DOT) bellsouth.net...


Not yet flying, it will take another half year or so to complete our Rans
S6S. But we did run the engine and taxied around the block a few times.
So far no problems with 0.5 hours runtime ;-)

A 3300 on an S6S? Isn't that a bit of overkill?
I thought Coyotes can make do with a Rotax 582 (60 HP or so?)
and are very happy with a 80 HP Rotax 912
So if Jabiru it must be I would rather expect a 2200?

PS if I may be a bit curious:
Where are you building?
Or more precisely where will the bird fly from?
Are you using the standard wing or the smaller 'speed' wing?

KA from just South...

The 3300 is about as much as the airframe will allow. RANS gave their
blessing thought.. They want pictures of the install for later reference.
Jabiru built the mount for us.

We are building the plane in Amersfoort, just 150 Km or so north from you.
About 95% done, still need to finish the cowl (needs a bit of modification
for the 3300 to fit Wink, the doors and the windshield. We will be flying out
of EHLE, or maybe EHHV or EHTE. It all depends on availability and price of
hangar space and landing fees ;-)

If you're ever in the neighbourhood, feel free to stop by. Send me a direct
e-mail (watch the spam trap) for direction.

Take care!
Rob



Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Aircraft Design & Building All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB