Aviation Forums Forum Index Aviation Forums
Aviation discussions newsgroups
 
Archives   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Launching in Oregon/Washington

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Hang-gliding, paragliding, foot-launched flight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bodyflight@gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote



Hey, all. I'm a ground launcher/skydiver/BASE jumper/bladerunner here
in Portland, Oregon. I've found some great sites for ground launching
already, but suspect that paraglider and hang glider people already
know the good places to go. It'd be cool to do some GLing alongside
paragliders, as well, just to see how big the difference is.

If you aren't familiar with ground launching, check out this site:
http://www.canopypiloting.com/glc.htm

Ground launching and bladerunning are both essentially paragliding on
speed. It's a rush. It evolved from skydiving and borrowed a lot from
paragliding and BASE. Basically, paragliding with a skydiving
parachute (sans pilot chute and slider). GL-specific gear is on its
way -- skydiving-style parachutes made from PG material. Fun stuff.
Thanks,
Steve



Back to top
fbloogyudsr
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote



<bodyflight (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote
Quote:
Hey, all. I'm a ground launcher/skydiver/BASE jumper/bladerunner here
in Portland, Oregon. I've found some great sites for ground launching
already, but suspect that paraglider and hang glider people already
know the good places to go. It'd be cool to do some GLing alongside
paragliders, as well, just to see how big the difference is.

If you aren't familiar with ground launching, check out this site:
http://www.canopypiloting.com/glc.htm

Ground launching and bladerunning are both essentially paragliding on
speed. It's a rush. It evolved from skydiving and borrowed a lot from
paragliding and BASE. Basically, paragliding with a skydiving
parachute (sans pilot chute and slider). GL-specific gear is on its
way -- skydiving-style parachutes made from PG material. Fun stuff.

Check:
http://www.cascadeparaglidingclub.org/ (OR/SW WA guys)
http://www.nwparagliding.com/ (us WA Seattle guys)
http://www.cloudbase.org/cbcc2000/default.asp (the Seattle HG guys)

Please note that almost all of our flying sites require the pilot to be
a member of USHGA. Anything over P2/H3 probably won't be appropriate
for you due to the range to the LZ from launch, or the fact you can't see
the LZ from launch.

FloydR

Back to top
BodyFlight
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! Do I simply need to join the organization, or do I
require some form of certification/license?

Back to top
BodyFlight
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote

Quote:
Anything over P2/H3 probably won't be appropriate
for you due to the range to the LZ from launch, or the
fact you can't see the LZ from launch.

I should have asked in the last post. Having a glide of say ~2.5:1, we
obviously don't travel too far (we try to "hug the hill", actually).
When you say "can't see the LZ from launch", is that because it is too
far away, or because the hill is too steep? If it's the latter, then
that's exactly the type of location we seek!
I'll study up a bit more on PG/HG, in general.

Thanks,
Steve


Back to top
fbloogyudsr
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote

"BodyFlight" <bodyflight (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote
Quote:
Thanks a lot! Do I simply need to join the organization, or do I
require some form of certification/license?

Usually you have to have an instructor do "stuff". There is a waiver
to sign, also; membership fees are $59 (for me...) Not sure how
to do the membership w/o a rating and instructor.

Floyd

Back to top
fbloogyudsr
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote

"BodyFlight" <bodyflight (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote
Quote:
Anything over P2/H3 probably won't be appropriate
for you due to the range to the LZ from launch, or the
fact you can't see the LZ from launch.

I should have asked in the last post. Having a glide of say ~2.5:1, we
obviously don't travel too far (we try to "hug the hill", actually).
When you say "can't see the LZ from launch", is that because it is too
far away, or because the hill is too steep? If it's the latter, then
that's exactly the type of location we seek!

Sometimes one, sometimes the other. For instance, the LZ for
the Toutle (Mt. St. Helens) site is far from the launch; no way
can you make it with less than 4:1/5:1. OTOH, Tiger (near Issaquah
up here) would be easy to make; at least from the north launch.

Floyd

Back to top
George
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote

You can Join USHGA without a rating. However, many flying sites are
regulated for safety reasons and require specific skill levels
(Instructor issued ratings) before allowing a pilot to fly from the
site. Please contact local pilots before attempting to launch from an
established site. Agreements between pilots and landowners can be
fragile and non-local pilots can close sites to all pilots by not
following local rules.

BTW Thank you for seeking information about sites before attempting to
use them.

George

Back to top
BodyFlight
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote

Gotcha. BASE is very similar to this in terms of the respect that we
(are supposed to) give to the places where we practice our sport, and
the people involved. I've done a lot more studying up and understand
the sensitivity of many of these sites. So for now, my buddies and I
are joining the USHGA, and then just staying out of sensitive areas.

Considering taking up traditional paragliding, but it's spendy when you
already participate in three parachuting disciplines (and have to buy
gear for each one).

We've had good luck in finding sites on scouting trips. I think what
we need is different enough from PG launch sites to have very little
overlap. We generally look for a 45░ - 60░ slope that is very clean
(few obstacles) and a landing area right at the base of the hill. We
like winds at a minimum of 8 knots (though we can do less with larger
canopies and a forward launch). 12 - 15 knots is perfect, and 25 knots
is the max for most of our canopies.

As I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), most PG canopies
find their limit at 12 knots? We had a few times this last weekend, in
the light-to-nil winds, that we had *real* PG canopies. Wink
Thanks for the help,
Steve

Back to top
fbloogyudsr
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Launching in Oregon/Washington Reply with quote

"BodyFlight" <bodyflight (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote
Quote:
We've had good luck in finding sites on scouting trips. I think what
we need is different enough from PG launch sites to have very little
overlap. We generally look for a 45░ - 60░ slope that is very clean
(few obstacles) and a landing area right at the base of the hill. We
like winds at a minimum of 8 knots (though we can do less with larger
canopies and a forward launch). 12 - 15 knots is perfect, and 25 knots
is the max for most of our canopies.

As I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), most PG canopies
find their limit at 12 knots? We had a few times this last weekend, in
the light-to-nil winds, that we had *real* PG canopies. Wink weekend, in

The upper limit is actually a steady 15mph, with gusts up to 18 acceptable
for P3/Intermediate pilots and above. Takes more skill to launch in high
winds than mellow. Takes a lot of skill to launch in no wind, also!
Easiest
launch conditions are around 5-10mph.

Most PG wings fly at around 22-23mph, and gain perhaps 5mph when
flying under in "accelerated" trim.

You might look at Kiona Butte, above Benton City (nw of Richland),
just above I82. It's BLM land with easy turnaround.

Floyd


Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Hang-gliding, paragliding, foot-launched flight All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB