Aviation Forums Forum Index Aviation Forums
Aviation discussions newsgroups
 
Archives   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on ASW-17

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Sailplanes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thomas Mærsk Pedersen
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote



I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with regards
to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Mærsk
Copenhagen, Denmark.




Back to top
goneill
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote



performance, handling, value for money "buy it now"
The 17 scores massive on these points
BUT they have these reality checks
1/ Typical early open class ,heavy "MUST" have rigging gear
2/ they have a narrow approach angle ,weak airbrakes so best
countryside to fly them over is where outlanding fields are larger
than usual ,they land just as short as a 15meter ship but pilot
workload is much more intense.Very little room for error.

"Thomas Mærsk Pedersen" <thomas (AT) maerskpedersen (DOT) dk> wrote

Quote:
I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with
regards
to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Mærsk
Copenhagen, Denmark.





Back to top
Gary Boggs
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

I have a friend that has one and it is a bitch to put together. Good
performance for the dollar though.

Boggs

"Thomas Mærsk Pedersen" <thomas (AT) maerskpedersen (DOT) dk> wrote

Quote:
I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with
regards
to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Mærsk
Copenhagen, Denmark.





Back to top
Jean
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

As a happy owner - F-FAQC - I would just add that it's not very "nervous" as
roll rate is not impressive (in mountain flight some anticipation is needed)
however the controls remains light. Climbing ability is outstanding, and
it's very good in transition up to 160 km/h.
My co-owner succeeded a 1000km flight last summer from Challes-les-Eaux
(France/North Alps).

Mine has a tail chute which is very efficient at compensating the weak
airbrakes; However tail chutes are not 100% reliable so it's better to keep
trained to narrow approach angle.

.... And yes a rigging gear is mandatory if you want to keep friends
Jean

"goneill" <goneill (AT) win (DOT) co.nz> a écrit dans le message de
news:4165f6d1 (AT) news (DOT) maxnet.co.nz...
Quote:
performance, handling, value for money "buy it now"
The 17 scores massive on these points
BUT they have these reality checks
1/ Typical early open class ,heavy "MUST" have rigging gear
2/ they have a narrow approach angle ,weak airbrakes so best
countryside to fly them over is where outlanding fields are larger
than usual ,they land just as short as a 15meter ship but pilot
workload is much more intense.Very little room for error.

"Thomas Mærsk Pedersen" <thomas (AT) maerskpedersen (DOT) dk> wrote in message
news:ck47s6$220r$1 (AT) news (DOT) cybercity.dk...
I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with
regards
to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Mærsk
Copenhagen, Denmark.







Back to top
W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

It is possible to modify the brakes by fitting a second paddle to each of
the four brakes (top and bottom).

This is the same mod. as that to the ASW19.

I know of several examples which have had this modification, and I have
flown
one of them. I have heard the modified braking described as similar to the
K21, I agree.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Quote:

"goneill" <goneill (AT) win (DOT) co.nz> wrote in message
news:4165f6d1 (AT) news (DOT) maxnet.co.nz...

performance, handling, value for money "buy it now".
The 17 scores massive on these points.
BUT they have these reality checks:
1/ Typical early open class, heavy "MUST" have rigging gear.
2/ They have a narrow approach angle, weak airbrakes so best
countryside to fly them over is where outlanding fields are larger
than usual, they land just as short as a 15meter ship but pilot
workload is much more intense. Very little room for error.


"Thomas Mærsk Pedersen" <thomas (AT) maerskpedersen (DOT) dk> wrote in message
news:ck47s6$220r$1 (AT) news (DOT) cybercity.dk...

I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with
regards to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Mærsk
Copenhagen, Denmark.






Back to top
Eric Greenwell
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

Gary Boggs wrote:

Quote:
I have a friend that has one and it is a bitch to put together. Good
performance for the dollar though.

Boggs

"Thomas Mærsk Pedersen" <thomas (AT) maerskpedersen (DOT) dk> wrote in message
news:ck47s6$220r$1 (AT) news (DOT) cybercity.dk...

I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with

regards

to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Be sure the wing inspections have been done - I think there is some wood
inside that can cause problems.

--
Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Back to top
ken ward
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

Save yourself some money. Buy a used LAK-12 with same performance. The
LAK looks like a 17 clone, and will have way less hours. Everyone
whinges about the 220# weight of a complete 12 wing, but the inner 17
panel by itself weighs 190#. you'll need some helpers.

Ken
no, my 12 is NOT for sale!

In article <41665054$0$9620$626a14ce (AT) news (DOT) free.fr>,
"Jean" <jvas_ch (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Quote:
As a happy owner - F-FAQC - I would just add that it's not very "nervous" as
roll rate is not impressive (in mountain flight some anticipation is needed)
however the controls remains light. Climbing ability is outstanding, and
it's very good in transition up to 160 km/h.
My co-owner succeeded a 1000km flight last summer from Challes-les-Eaux
(France/North Alps).

Mine has a tail chute which is very efficient at compensating the weak
airbrakes; However tail chutes are not 100% reliable so it's better to keep
trained to narrow approach angle.

... And yes a rigging gear is mandatory if you want to keep friends
Jean

"goneill" <goneill (AT) win (DOT) co.nz> a écrit dans le message de
news:4165f6d1 (AT) news (DOT) maxnet.co.nz...
performance, handling, value for money "buy it now"
The 17 scores massive on these points
BUT they have these reality checks
1/ Typical early open class ,heavy "MUST" have rigging gear
2/ they have a narrow approach angle ,weak airbrakes so best
countryside to fly them over is where outlanding fields are larger
than usual ,they land just as short as a 15meter ship but pilot
workload is much more intense.Very little room for error.

"Thomas Mærsk Pedersen" <thomas (AT) maerskpedersen (DOT) dk> wrote in message
news:ck47s6$220r$1 (AT) news (DOT) cybercity.dk...
I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with
regards
to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Mærsk
Copenhagen, Denmark.







Back to top
Janusz Kesik
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Odp: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote


U¿ytkownik ken ward <kenward1000 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> w wiadomo¶ci do grup dyskusyjnych napisa³:kenward1000-617873.20182808102004 (AT) newssvr14-ext (DOT) news.prodigy.com...
Quote:
Save yourself some money. Buy a used LAK-12 with same performance. The
LAK looks like a 17 clone, and will have way less hours. Everyone
whinges about the 220# weight of a complete 12 wing, but the inner 17
panel by itself weighs 190#. you'll need some helpers.

I fully agree, save your money for other things, the LAK-12 looks like xerox of the '17' and our local owner is happy with his '12' he brought from Russia. It had only 104h logged then. :)

Regards,


--
Janusz Kesik
[email]janusz.kesikREMOVETOREPLY (AT) gazeta (DOT) pl[/email]
-------------
http://www.wroclaw.dolny.slask.pl
See Breslau (Wroclaw) in photography
From the XIX Century, through the 1945 Festung Breslau, to the photos taken today morning...


Back to top
Jean
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

Well, according to Schleicher GmbH "for the ASW 17 there is no approved
technical note/drawing or modification
kit for double airbrake paddles available"
Jean

"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." <bill.dean (AT) freeuk (DOT) comic> a écrit dans le message
de news:1097283967.14536.0 (AT) echo (DOT) uk.clara.net...
Quote:
It is possible to modify the brakes by fitting a second paddle to each of
the four brakes (top and bottom).

This is the same mod. as that to the ASW19.

I know of several examples which have had this modification, and I have
flown
one of them. I have heard the modified braking described as similar to
the
K21, I agree.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.


"goneill" <goneill (AT) win (DOT) co.nz> wrote in message
news:4165f6d1 (AT) news (DOT) maxnet.co.nz...

performance, handling, value for money "buy it now".
The 17 scores massive on these points.
BUT they have these reality checks:
1/ Typical early open class, heavy "MUST" have rigging gear.
2/ They have a narrow approach angle, weak airbrakes so best
countryside to fly them over is where outlanding fields are larger
than usual, they land just as short as a 15meter ship but pilot
workload is much more intense. Very little room for error.


"Thomas Mærsk Pedersen" <thomas (AT) maerskpedersen (DOT) dk> wrote in message
news:ck47s6$220r$1 (AT) news (DOT) cybercity.dk...

I am considering buying an AWS-17 - any opinions on this glider with
regards to performance, handling, value for money etc?

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Mærsk
Copenhagen, Denmark.








Back to top
W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

I do not have the drawings etc. with me, they are with the repairer who did
the modification. The drawings etc. are the same as the ones for the
ASW19. I got them from the BGA who have of course approved the
modification.

Remember that the ASW19 modification was not in origin by Schleicher; it was
private and then Schleicher adopted it and included it in new production.

Perhaps there are advantages in flying in the U.K. rather than in France!

When I had a tail wheel fitted to the ASW17 to replace the tailskid, the
repairer used a deep moulding for the wheel with a fixed ballast point
inside at the top. Ballast can be fitted or removed just by taking out the
wheel to get access to the ballast point bolt. This modification can be
fitted to the ASW19 and 20.

There is also a U.K. approved modification to the ASW20 to fit a tail
ballast tank, it is also approved to double the brake paddles on the ASW20.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Quote:

"Jean" <jvas_ch (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote in message
news:416ac2d4$0$24607$636a15ce (AT) news (DOT) free.fr...

Well, according to Schleicher GmbH "for the ASW 17 there is no approved
technical note/drawing or modification kit for double airbrake paddles
available".

Jean


"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." <bill.dean (AT) freeuk (DOT) comic> a écrit dans le
message de news:1097283967.14536.0 (AT) echo (DOT) uk.clara.net...

It is possible to modify the brakes by fitting a second paddle to each
of the four brakes (top and bottom).

This is the same mod. as that to the ASW19.

I know of several examples which have had this modification, and I have
flown one of them. I have heard the modified braking described as
similar to the K21, I agree.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.








Back to top
Bert Willing
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on ASW-17 Reply with quote

Bill,
do you have a link for the ASW20 tail tank modification?


--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"


"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." <bill.dean (AT) freeuk (DOT) comic> a écrit dans le message
de news: [email]1097756401.10428.0 (AT) lotis (DOT) uk.clara.net[/email]...
Quote:
I do not have the drawings etc. with me, they are with the repairer who did
the modification. The drawings etc. are the same as the ones for the
ASW19. I got them from the BGA who have of course approved the
modification.

Remember that the ASW19 modification was not in origin by Schleicher; it
was
private and then Schleicher adopted it and included it in new production.

Perhaps there are advantages in flying in the U.K. rather than in France!

When I had a tail wheel fitted to the ASW17 to replace the tailskid, the
repairer used a deep moulding for the wheel with a fixed ballast point
inside at the top. Ballast can be fitted or removed just by taking out
the
wheel to get access to the ballast point bolt. This modification can be
fitted to the ASW19 and 20.

There is also a U.K. approved modification to the ASW20 to fit a tail
ballast tank, it is also approved to double the brake paddles on the
ASW20.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.


"Jean" <jvas_ch (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote in message
news:416ac2d4$0$24607$636a15ce (AT) news (DOT) free.fr...

Well, according to Schleicher GmbH "for the ASW 17 there is no approved
technical note/drawing or modification kit for double airbrake paddles
available".

Jean


"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." <bill.dean (AT) freeuk (DOT) comic> a écrit dans le
message de news:1097283967.14536.0 (AT) echo (DOT) uk.clara.net...

It is possible to modify the brakes by fitting a second paddle to each
of the four brakes (top and bottom).

This is the same mod. as that to the ASW19.

I know of several examples which have had this modification, and I have
flown one of them. I have heard the modified braking described as
similar to the K21, I agree.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.










Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Sailplanes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB