Aviation Forums Forum Index Aviation Forums
Aviation discussions newsgroups
 
Archives   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Sailplanes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ventus B
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote



The only place I have found to research the differences between the
above ASW20 glider models is on the Sailplane Directory website. From
what I can tell the B model differs from the "A" by a slightly heavier
airframe, boundary layer control blowholes on the wing, a higher auw,
and different airfoil. And as far as I can tell the C model seems to
have the same airframe as the "A" except for a slightly modified
cockpit, whatever that means, and the same boundary layer control and
airfoil as the B. I also believe the B and C models have different
(less) positive flap settings than the "A". All are certified in the
experimental category.
Can anyone corroborate/elaborate? Also, where can I find
airworthiness directives/technical notes on the ASW20? They are not
available on the FAA website for this model glider.


Back to top
Bert Willing
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote



B and C model have a modified airfoil (w/ boundary layer control, but it
doesn't actually make a noticable difference in performance), a modified
flap setting for landing ("chicken" setting at 38 deg insead of 55 deg for
the A model) and a different mixer for ailerons/flaps. The B model has a
reinforced spar to be able to carry water in the BL version.
B/C models have the canopy connected to a lifting instrument panel, a
modified canopy jettisson mechanism (huge improvement) and automatic
elevator hook-up. They come with a sprung wheel and hydraulic brake. The
cockpit has some more fairings and a slightly different seating position.

That's about it. The important differences are in the safety aspects of the
fuselage... All models exist also as a "L" version with 16.6m span of which
only the BL may carry water in the 16.6m version.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"


"Ventus B" <hc_phillips (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> a écrit dans le message de
news:581c9672.0407160438.4175570 (AT) posting (DOT) google.com...
Quote:
The only place I have found to research the differences between the
above ASW20 glider models is on the Sailplane Directory website. From
what I can tell the B model differs from the "A" by a slightly heavier
airframe, boundary layer control blowholes on the wing, a higher auw,
and different airfoil. And as far as I can tell the C model seems to
have the same airframe as the "A" except for a slightly modified
cockpit, whatever that means, and the same boundary layer control and
airfoil as the B. I also believe the B and C models have different
(less) positive flap settings than the "A". All are certified in the
experimental category.
Can anyone corroborate/elaborate? Also, where can I find
airworthiness directives/technical notes on the ASW20? They are not
available on the FAA website for this model glider.



Back to top
Basil Fairston
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

The B and the C are the same except that the B has a slightly heavier wing to allow water ballast to be carried with the 16.6m tips on. The B and C differ from the A as follows.

Different aerofoil with blow holes.
Self connecting elevator
Instrument panel raises with the canopy
Revised undercarrage with suspension and a disk brake.
Max flap deplection is about equivalent to 1/2 landing flap in the A model.

For ADs try the Schleicher site or the US representative.

Ventus B wrote:

Quote:
The only place I have found to research the differences between the
above ASW20 glider models is on the Sailplane Directory website. From
what I can tell the B model differs from the "A" by a slightly heavier
airframe, boundary layer control blowholes on the wing, a higher auw,
and different airfoil. And as far as I can tell the C model seems to
have the same airframe as the "A" except for a slightly modified
cockpit, whatever that means, and the same boundary layer control and
airfoil as the B. I also believe the B and C models have different
(less) positive flap settings than the "A". All are certified in the
experimental category.
Can anyone corroborate/elaborate? Also, where can I find
airworthiness directives/technical notes on the ASW20? They are not
available on the FAA website for this model glider.


Back to top
Judy Ruprecht
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

At 12:54 16 July 2004, Ventus B wrote:

Quote:
Also, where can I find
airworthiness directives/technical notes on the ASW20?
They are not
available on the FAA website for this model glider.

That's cuz US AD's are not issued for Experimental
Aircraft. (And the old hotellier fitting AD noted that
experimental aircraft are not required to comply with
US ADs issued for pertinent parts. (!) Still, this
one is widely complied with in the US on a voluntary
basis.)

Best bet for TNs & LBA directives:

http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/englisch/e_main.htm

Judy



Back to top
Marc Ramsey
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

Bert Willing wrote:
Quote:
That's about it. The important differences are in the safety aspects of the
fuselage... All models exist also as a "L" version with 16.6m span of which
only the BL may carry water in the 16.6m version.

The B/BL (are there any non-L B models?) have a higher max gross weight
in 15M, mine was 1150 lbs. The 20 and 20C models are 950 lbs, I
believe. The B and C were produced concurrently, and there were
improvements made in the cockpit over time, the last B/C cockpits are
set up pretty much like an early ASW-24.

Having been personally acquainted over the years with two usually
careful pilots who made their last flights in Schleicher gliders with
the elevator disconnected, I'd definitely opt for a B or C...

Marc

Back to top
Eric Greenwell
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

Basil Fairston wrote:
Quote:
The B and the C are the same except that the B has a slightly heavier
wing to allow water ballast to be carried with the 16.6m tips on.
The B and C differ from the A as follows.

I think it was more substantial than "slightly": at least 20-30 pounds
is what I remember. The B model had more ballast allowed in the 15 meter
configuration, the wings were noticeably stiffer, but it was the favored
model for ridge running at high speeds.


--
Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA


Back to top
Eric Greenwell
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Quote:

Having been personally acquainted over the years with two usually
careful pilots who made their last flights in Schleicher gliders with
the elevator disconnected, I'd definitely opt for a B or C...

I know 6 ASW 20 pilots that survived launches with the elevator
disconnected (though the glider often did not), so "I approve Marc's
message". I had a C model for 11 years. I would never have a glider
without automatic elevator hookup, because I am very much aware of my
limitations.

Unless money is a compelling problem, I would not ever suggest an ASW 20
other than the B/C models.

--
Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA


Back to top
Chris OCallaghan
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

10 years of discussions of ASW 20s available. Differences,
characteristics, recommendations. Search Google Groups. Use

"ASW 20 Models"
Back to top
Tom Serkowski
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

Eric Greenwell <flyguy26e (AT) charter (DOT) netto> wrote

Quote:
I think it was more substantial than "slightly": at least 20-30 pounds
is what I remember. The B model had more ballast allowed in the 15 meter
configuration, the wings were noticeably stiffer, but it was the favored
model for ridge running at high speeds.

The wings on my '20B weighed a bit over 170 lb each. This is about
the same as each of the 18m wings of my ASH-26E! A one-man rig is an
excellent investment for both.

I loved the '20B and at a max AUW of 525kg (1157 lb) it ran great. I
installed custom dump valves and all the water would be gone in 90
seconds. I could start dumping on downwind leg and be almost empty at
touchdown.

The '26E flies just as nicely, though the roll rate is a bit slower.
And with the extra 200 lbs, the landing is a bit more challenging.
When it comes to landing in a small, rough field, very few other
silplanes give as much confidence as the ASW-20 B/C with the flaps,
spoilers, and 5.00x5.00 wheel with disc brake and shock absorber.

Tom Serkowski
ASH-26E and formerly ASW-20B (5Z)

Back to top
Denis
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Reply with quote

Chris OCallaghan a écrit :
Quote:
10 years of discussions of ASW 20s available. Differences,
characteristics, recommendations. Search Google Groups. Use

"ASW 20 Models"

or http://minilien.com/?ExuHxiRZim

--
Denis

R. Parce que ça rompt le cours normal de la conversation !!!
Q. Pourquoi ne faut-il pas répondre au-dessus de la question ?

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aviation Forums Forum Index -> Sailplanes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB